Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What A Child Can Teach You About Sundays

Sundays - be it in the Biblical or modern sense - are a day of rest, relaxation or just plain doing what you want to do.

Coming home last week from our family reunion, my 4 year old was crying because he didn't want to go home.  He and his brother had more fun than even their imaginitive minds could have constructed and his words to me through tears were "I don't want Sunday to end." 

I get it.  We've all been there.  Every week in fact I would imagine!  The only reason I don't cry (now) is that I have managed to rationalise with myself that Sunday will be there again in another 7 days. 

It occurred to me though that I now take Sundays for granted.  Sundays, to me, have become just another day for getting things done, usually around the house.  What was so special about last weekend was that there were no chores or other commitments.  The weekend was 3 days of Sunday: time devoted entirely to having fun and doing whatever it was we wanted to do, and undivided attention to the children.  How often does that happen on our Sundays?  I decided not often enough.

Life gets so busy.  We let it get busy.  Mine has become so busy I had, up until last week, almost forgotten how to have a Sunday!  The innocence and purity of my 4 year old making the comment he did struck me.  In essence, his life until school starts, is entirely Sundays.  The Sundays he is after though are the ones full of fun and not Mummy and Daddy being busy with 'stuff' around the house.

Though some commitments on a Sunday are unavoidable, I've realised that planning here is the secret - to schedule Sunday into our Sunday.  

How do you spend your Sundays?

No comments:

Post a Comment